This year has been a blast.
Since launching the Telling The Story podcast in April, I have interviewed twelve great journalists and storytellers about their work.
With the year wrapping up, I decided to take a look back.
I compiled some of the best moments from the past year into a “Best Of” advice edition of the Telling The Story podcast. Hear from eight terrific storytellers about their thoughts on what makes a great storyteller, such as:
- Jon Shirek: my first podcast guest and my co-worker at WXIA-TV in Atlanta
- Anne Herbst: a versatile news photographer and now assistant chief photographer at KDVR-TV in Denver
- Matt Detrich: a longtime staff photographer at the Indianapolis Star
- Andrew Carroll: the author of the fascinating new book, Here Is Where
- Roman Mars: the esteemed host of 99% Invisible, and my most popular podcast guest to date
- Erin Brethauer: multimedia editor of the Asheville Citizen-Times, and — for a week this year — the overseer of the New Yorker’s Instagram account
- Tomas Rios: a self-described paid-lance sportswriter whose work has appeared in Slate and Deadspin
- Rachel Hamburg: a recent graduate of Stanford and the managing editor of the Stanford Storytelling Project
It’s a solid group of storytellers, and they offer some great advice.
Matt Pearl is the author of the Telling the Story blog and podcast. Feel free to comment below or e-mail Matt at email@example.com.